What type of companies are involved in IP businesses?
Well, it depends what market you want to join.
First, check out Raymond Millien’s article “Landscape 2013: Who are the Players in the IP Marketplace?” and the directory on IPWatchdog to understand the different types of business models. Raymond gives a great overview on 20 different IP business models that should serve as an introduction for students to understand what type of companies you want to pursue.
After that, explore the other options below.
- Chicago’s 50 fastest growing companies (via Crain’s Chicago)
- Deloitte Technology Fast 500 (via Deloitte)
- MIT Technology Review 50 Disruptive Companies
- MIT Technology Review 50 Smartest Companies
Largest, fastest-growing and most industry-recognised patent portfolios in the US.
- Abbott Laboratories
- Freescale Semiconductor
- Hon Hai
- Intellectual Ventures
- Research in Motion
- Sony Corporation
Owners of the 10 biggest active US patent portfolios (in order):
Tech Transfer Offices
- AUTM – Association of University Technology Managers
- Columbia Tech Ventures
- IIT Office of Technology Transfer
- Northwestern University INVO – Innovation and New Ventures Office
- UChicago Tech – Center for Technology Development & Ventures
- UIC Technology Management